Who does Head Start serve?
Children who are three or four years old and their families if:
A. They live in Kandiyohi, McLeod, Meeker, or Renville County.
B. They meet income guidelines set by the federal government.
C. They have a special need.
What is Head Start?
A preschool program for children and their families. The parents are involved with decision making policies, and are also encouraged to help in the classroom.
Where are Head Start programs located?
Heartland offers center based and home based programs with the four-county area of Kandiyohi, McLeod, Meeker, and Renville.
When do Head Start children meet?
Center based programs meet four days a week, Monday-Thursday.
Home Based children receive 1½ hour home visit per week, plus attend group sessions twice a month.
Why is Head Start available?
Head Start is made available free of charge so children and families can work together to increase skills which will
benefit them throughout their important school years.
Does Head Start provide transportation?
Heartland Head Start does not provide transportation. We do provide the following in an effort to assist families with transportation:
A. A variety of classroom schedules to better meet parents' work schedules.
B. Opportunities for parents to network and establish car pools.
C. Choices in program options. Home Based: teachers come to the homes, or Center Based: parents are required to transport their children to the classroom.
Step Up to Head Start
FOR MORE INFORMATION CONTACT:
- Family with a 3 or 4 year old child.
- Parent fills out and mails the pre-application form.
- A Heartland staff member contacts the parent to complete the application.
- Selection process occurs. The selection process is based on the selection criteria. Some of the factors that are looked at are age of the child,
family income, disabilities and social service needs.
- Notification is sent to the family concerning placement. The child could be placed on the income-eligible wait list, over-income wait list, or
accepted. Families who are accepted into the program will receive an acceptance packet which includes a physical and dental form.
- The family is contacted by the classroom teacher.
- Child begins the program
PO Box 36, Cosmos, MN 56228